sábado, 7 de junho de 2014

Mais um filme que vale a pena

Underrated Movie: Griffin & Phoenix
The other day I popped this DVD mainly because Dermot Mulroney is attractive. I figured it was just a dumb romantic comedy, mainly based on the DVD cover. Especially the tagline, "A story about life and love." ARE YOU SERIOUS? They couldn’t give this movie the tiniest bit of a fighting chance by thinking of something a little bit more intriguing?
I love so much when I watch a movie I’ve heard not a peep about only to find out it’s simply a gem that slipped under the radar. That is why I am going to try and do these “Underrated Movies” posts more often. I have seen so many films that I think are incredible, and when I bring them up, no one knows what the hell I am talking about. I now have over 4,100 followers (Thank you so much, guys!) So hopefully someone can take advantage of the endless amount of movie information I have stored in my head.
My interest piqued immediately during the first scene, which is poignant and funny. Those qualities continued until the credits rolled. This film is about a man named Griffin (Mulroney) who finds out that the cancer in his chest is more serious than they had originally anticipated. He has about a year to live, no more than two. The first people he goes to see after learning of this terrible news are his two boys. There’s clearly animosity there, especially with the ex-wife. Griffin tries to connect more with his children, but the center of the story is his relationship with Phoenix (Amanda Peet).
When the story got going, I thought, okay, so he’s going to try and live his life to the fullest while he still can, and then I’m sure I’ll be crying during the final hospital scenes while Phoenix is sitting at his bedside sobbing. I was wrong. It is rare, very rare, that movies surprise me in any way, and I loved what ended up happening. You don’t see it coming… or at least I didn’t. I won’t give anything away, but I thought the ending, which could have been very messy, was incredibly well done.
If you’re looking for a wonderfully touching and funny love story that isn’t a by the numbers Hollywood mess, I definitely recommend this film.


Ontem tirei um tempinho para ver um filme e escolhi um que já tinha gravado há uns tempos mas ainda não tinha visto. O título original  é Griffin and Phoenix e o título português Tempo para Amar.
Griffin é um homem divorciado que recebe más notícias e decide aproveitar melhor a sua vida. Acaba por conhecer Phoenix e, sem saberem, ambos partilham o mesmo segredo. 
Não quero dar mais detalhes porque senão perde a piada mas não é uma simples comédia romântica como a maioria das que se vê por aí. Preparem-se para chorar mil e uma vezes durante o filme, mas acreditem vale a pena pois é um filme que dá uma grande lição de vida.
Para além disso, adorei a banda sonora e deixo-vos uma das minhas músicas preferidas de todo o filme!


«(...)Cause you can't jump the track
We're like cars on a cable
And life's like an hourglass, glued to the table
No one can find the rewind button, girl
So cradle your head in your hands
And breathe, just breathe
Woah breathe, just breathe (...)»


1 comentário:

  1. Durante o inverno esgotei a minha paciência para cinema. xD

    ResponderEliminar

Faz barulho *